Full Spectrum Camera vs IR Spectrum Camera

If you found this post, it means that you have some interest in infrared photography. So, I have put together a comprehensive guide on infrared and full-spectrum photography. Before starting, let me tell you that this article is going to be really long, so be with us.

Full Spectrum vs IR Spectrum Camera

Full-spectrum contains all the wavelengths of the Electromagnetic spectrum while an IR spectrum can be placed in a wavelength range of 380nm to 900nm. The IR camera is one which can filter other lights and only allow IR radiation to pass through.

Electromagnetic Spectrum

Before talking about the infrared, I have to talk to you about the electromagnetic spectrum and where infrared photography lies in all of this.

Think of energy as having different frequencies. You have Gamma rays on side extreme and Radio waves on the other. Rays like Gamma rays are more dangerous because of their high frequency and small wavelength and because of that they are highly energetic.

Between Gamma rays and Radio waves we have UV, X-ray, visible light and infrared light which is what we are interested in. There is also microwave, but we don’t actually have to get into that. Today we are only going to be focusing on visible light and infrared light.

Wavelength and Color of Infrared Rays IR

Waves having wavelengths between 380nm and 900nm are called Infrared waves. There is one thing you should know. As the waves get longer, you start to lose color.

If you are shooting at 380 nm, the colors are completely visible to the eye. Next, we have a picture shot with 590 nm which is quite colorful. But color slowly disappear with increasing wavelength as in case of 600 nm its still a little colorful but at 780 nm you can see the blackish tone. At 900 nm the picture is completely black and white.

Infrared Photography

The camera sensors don’t actually recognize ultra-violet or IR or any other wave. So, what the camera manufacturers do is that they actually put some kind of filters to block to block the other light. The cameras you are using now will have a filter which is going to filter other light and allow only visible light to pass through.

Just for your information, any filter cannot completely filter 100% of light rays passing through it. At most 98% can be filtered, the rest 2% can pass, off course they won’t have any effect on your photography.

How to see IR rays with Your Camera

If you wanna see the IR rays with your phone, follow the steps below:

  1. Take a remote of TV or something.
  2. Take out your phone, open the camera app and focus on the IR bulb of the remote.
  3. Press any button and you will see those infrared rays going out.
  4. Use both front and Selfie camera in case one doesn’t work.

So, the point is that with that 2% you can capture a complete photo too. All you need is to block visible light using a filter that allows only infrared radiations.

Leave a Comment