Being a Youtuber or Vlogger, you need to carry around all the necessary equipment that will help you record your videos in the highest picture quality. Laptops or PCs are the best sources to record your live videos.
Still, the Webcams they include lack remarkable quality and some key features that only a professional Canon DSLR camera can offer. If you are an entertainer, your audience will always expect the best from you, and what else could be better than a high-quality, informative, pre-recorded video.
We cannot say that webcams are bad. They have made recording possible in the last few decades. Still, certain setbacks cannot be improved, such as the webcam lenses do not let you set the focus manually or have any control over aperture, angle, or exposure.
A live digital camera can do all of these without causing a ghosting effect while recording a video.
Thus, it’s best to use a DSLR as a webcam on your Laptop. If you don’t know how to connect your DSLR to your Laptop, don’t worry; you can learn it in this article.
Table of Contents
How to Connect Canon DSLR to Laptop for Recording in 3 Simple Ways
Connecting a Canon DSLR to a laptop or PC becomes easier when you know all the steps. You can connect your Canon DSLR using wifi, HDMI, USB, etc. Each of these ways will help you successfully connect your camera to Windows PC or Laptop.
Method 1: Connect DSLR using USB
Most professionals prefer Canon cameras as one of the best DSLRs for video recordings because apart from delivering the perfect shots, they also have built-in Wifi, Bluetooth support.
However, if your Canon camera does not have built-in wifi support, you can still establish the wifi connection using a USB cable. You cannot just use any USB available with you; you have to use the USB cable that came with your DSLR camera; this will help you quickly connect.
- As already mentioned, use the USB that comes with your camera or any High-speed USB cable as high-resolution images take longer to transfer. So, be ready with the USB cable.
- Secondly, check the battery status of your DSLR; if it’s a low charge, it immediately. If the camera runs out of battery, it may hamper or delay the file transfer process. Meantime, you should keep your PC or Laptop on before connecting your Canon DSLR to the system.
- Now, plug the USB cable into the A/Digital port provided on one side of the camera. The other side of the USB cable must be plugged into the PC’s USB port.
- Turn on the camera to ‘View’ mode. Once the DSLR and PC are compatible and connected, the PC will prompt further steps for file transfer. If your PC does not prompt a file transfer message, you have to manually go to media management and access.
- Make sure you have the EOS Utility app installed on your PC. Image or video transfer from camera to PC becomes easier with this app.
- Make a folder in which all your data of the DSLR to be transferred. Before disconnecting the DSLR from the PC, make sure to turn off the camera first. Only then you must remove the USB cable
Method 2: Connect DSLR using WiFi
Before starting with this method, ensure your Canon DSLR is compatible with wifi or not because not all the models from Canon allow connecting to a PC via wifi. If your Canon DSLR does not allow a wifi connection, you can always use a WiFi-enabled SD card to fulfill your wireless connectivity needs.
- Turn on your PC to make sure your PC is boosted enough to run all the systems nicely or smoothly.
- Check the battery of the DSLR camera; it is enough to cope with the entire process, then it’s good to go; if not, charge it up first.
- Now, download the EOS Utility app on your PC. You can find this app on the Canon website. If you have this EOD app installed in your system, it will help you have a secure connection line between the PC and the DSLR and help in other functions such as downloading.
- Now, Go to the menu option on your camera. You will see a list of all the features made available on your DSLR. From the list, select the Wireless communication option, where you will have to enable wifi. On the same page, you would see another option for wifi function, select that and choose the option with the picture of the Laptop.
- Once clicked, you will be taken to another window. The new window will ask how you want to connect the DSLR to the PC via wifi. You can either use Pin or Direct WPS entry. If you choose a pin, you will be shown the camera’s name and password on the window screen.
- Now, go to wifi settings on your PC or Laptop and enable wifi. Then select the device name of your camera. Enter the password shown earlier on the screen and click ‘Connect.’
- Next, your camera will pop up a message about accepting the pairing of the device. Click on OK; then your connection is said to be secured. You can now enjoy recording, downloading images, and all the features of the EOS app.
Method 3: Connect DSLR using SD card
This is the most popular method used by many professionals for ease and convenience. All you need is a good brand’s SB card. You can back up all your data in just a single file if you have an SD card.
- Before proceeding, make sure your PC or Laptop has an additional slot for an SD card.
- Turn off the DSLR and pull the SD card.
- Now, insert that SD card into the slot provided on your computer. After inserting, wait for the SD file folder to show up on your PC screen.
- Now, you can save all the images and videos of your DSLR onto your PC.
No matter which Canon DSLR model you have, you can always opt for these methods to live record and file transfer all your data in the highest resolution.